During my Block Two field experience, I had the opportunity to complete my student teaching at Lyndon B. Johnson High School in Laredo, Texas. I was placed under the mentorship of Coach Amanda Perez, where I shadowed and assisted in both the main gym and small gym classes. This hands-on experience allowed me to observe and actively participate in daily physical education instruction, classroom management, and student engagement in a diverse high school setting.
Throughout the placement, I supported instruction by modeling exercises, guiding student workouts, and facilitating small group activities. I provided immediate, constructive feedback, especially during strength training sessions, helping students improve their form, technique, and confidence with weights. I also implemented effective grouping strategies that promoted collaboration, self-monitoring, and engagement.
Coach Perez consistently provided strong, encouraging evaluations of my teaching performance. She praised my professionalism, classroom presence, and ability to lead activities with clarity and enthusiasm. She noted that I gave “great and helpful feedback” during instruction and highlighted my use of positive reinforcement to motivate students. She also commended my attention to safety, use of effective teaching strategies, and ability to group students in ways that supported teamwork and accountability. In her written evaluation, she described me as a “very effective coach” who demonstrated both leadership and care for student success.
This experience deepened my passion for physical education and affirmed my commitment to creating structured, student-centered lessons that support lifelong health, movement, and character development.



No comments:
Post a Comment